Friday, June 16, 2006

Watchin' The 'Roo - Part 2

So I've spent the majority of my afternoon glued to my computer screen. I saw bits and pieces of Steel Pulse from what I saw I enjoyed - nothing groundbreaking, but some solid reggae. Next up was Devendra Banhart who dubbed his band the Tennessee Cops for the day. First time hearing him live and thoroughly impressed. Devendra and his band of long haired friends looks liked they just stepped out of Haight-Ashbury circa 1966. If you haven't heard his music I highly recommend picking up Cripple Crow - it's a mix of psychedelic-rock/freak folk and soul. Take a listen to "I Feel Just Like A Child". Oysterhead was up next and simply brought it for their entire 2 hour set. I remember seeing them back in 2001 and just wasn't that blow away by it. After seeing their set today I'm ready to go on tour with them when they hit the road later this year - at least that's the rumor. I don't think I've seen Trey play that inspired in a long time - he was locked in with Les and Stewart. They ran through just about all of The Grand Pecking Order and really jammed out the songs. When the downloads start rolling in next week I strongly think everyone should grab it, it's going to be one the sets that everyone will be talking about when they return.

Right now watching Bright Eyes - who's brought out Gillian Welch, David Rawling and the lead singer of the Super Furry Animals to play with him so far. More on his set later.

No comments: