Friday, June 23, 2006

Bruuuuuuuuuuce

I'm going to try and not gush too much about the Bruce Springsteen show I saw last night at MSG - but damn was it good. First off I don't understand how I've never gone to see this man in concert before last night - I've really been missing out over the last few years when Bruce has basically set up residence in the New York City area. This wasn't your typical Springsteen show though he was showcasing music from his latest album We Shall Overcome with The Seeger Session Band.

There was a total of 18 people on stage playing guitar, fiddle, banjo, accordion, piano/organ, stand-up bass, horns, pedal steel and even washboard - with a sound that could be described at times as New Orleans ragtime brass band, bluegrass, folk and country. They ran through most of the album and even did reworked versions of Atlantic City and Johnny 99 which were stellar and essentially unrecognizable from the original versions.

Unlike the Petty show that I saw earlier in the week and yes enjoyed - this show blew it out of the water (check out this review from the NY Post on Petty show - kind of had to agree with it). I might even go as far as to say this ranks up there in the top ten concerts I've seen - it was that good. Too bad that the 400 level seating was virtually empty, I guess it's hard to sell out MSG when you're not with the E Street Band and playing Born To Run or Thunder Road. If you get a chance and he's coming to your town seriously do yourself a favor and pick up a ticket it's an amazing night of music.

Here's the setlist....

Setlist: American Land/John Henry/O Mary Don't You Weep/Johnny 99/Old Dan Tucker/Eyes on the Prize/Jesse James/Atlantic City/Erie Canal/My Oklahoma Home/If I Should Fall Behind/Mrs. McGrath/How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?/Jacob's Ladder/We Shall Overcome/Open All Night/Pay Me My Money Down
Encore:
Bring Them Home/My City of Ruins/Ramrod/You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)/When the Saints Go Marching In

No comments: