Thursday, November 17, 2005

Live/Dead

I'm not really into the whole tribute band thing. I really don't understand how anyone can go see a band like Ants Marching or Phix when you can go see other bands play original music - or see the actual band itself. With that being said I do have a soft spot for Dead cover bands - yes I know it's a double standard, but sometimes I just have to hear some live Dead. So last night I had opportunity to catch Dark Star Orchestra at Irving Plaza. This is the second time I've seen them and damn did they play an rockin' show - 9/8/73 from the Nassau coliseum which include a ton of my favorite tunes.

A lot has already been written about the DSO experience, so I won't really bore you with that. But yes they do what they do and they do it well - it's almost a bit eerie how much they sound like the Dead. I only had the opportunity to see the Grateful Dead three times, but have since seen all the subsequent bands on numerous occasions - Ratdog (who I have a bit of a soft spot for), Phil & Friends, The Other Ones, The Dead. While I've really enjoyed seeing these bands it's nothing like hearing those songs played they way they're supposed to sound - not Bobby singing 'Stella Blue' or Phil doing 'Scarlet Begonias'. So do yourself a favor if your a Dead fan and have the opportunity to see DSO go you won't be disappointed.

Here's last night's setlist....

09-08-73 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, N.Y. (Sat)
1: Bertha, Me & My Uncle, Sugaree, BIODTL, Tennessee Jed, L. L. Rain, B. E. Women, Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow, Eyes> China Doll
2: Greatest, Ramble On, Big River, Let Me Sing, China Cat> I Know You Rider, El Paso, He's Gone> Truckin> NFA> GDTRFB> NFA
E: Stella Blue> Saturday Night

Download the original show here....

1973-09-08 Nassau Coliseum

No comments: