Thursday, November 10, 2005

Don't Think Twice It's Alright

So this email showed up in my inbox yesterday.....

From: "Concerts Tonight"
To: "List Member"
Subject: ZZ Top Special Offer!
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:20:23 -0800

A pair of free tickets from concertstonight.com!!
Thank you for helping to make this falls concert season a tremendous
success. As a special thank you, you are part of a limited group that
are being offered a pair of tickets to ZZ Top's opening night
performance at the Beacon Theatre this Thursday (Nov 10) at 8pm.

This is ZZ Top's first New York City appearance in 10 years, and you
can be there to groove with the lil 'ol band from Texas as they
play their classics.

The first 50 people to respond by 2pm on Thursday (Nov 10) will have
two tickets waiting for them at the Beacon this Thursday. If you would
like to attend, please send an email to
concertstonight@metro-talent.com
with you name and email address. You will receive a email to confirm
your tickets.


For more concert info visit www.concertstonight.com.

So I figured, with a bit of skepticism, what the hell I'll respond they already have my email address and no one was offering to wire millions of dollars into my bank account. A couple of hours later I get an email back saying two tickets will be waiting for me at the box office. So I'm going to see ZZ Top tonight - and you know what it'll probably be fun they don't have an album to promote, so no new material and the Beacon Theater is actually a cool place to see a band like that and more importantly it's free!

I will admit this isn't the first time I've seen them - that happened back in 1994, back in the golden age of Classic Rock radio when I was a senior in high school and saw them play at the Garden.

I'm not going to sit and defend everything they've done or pretend that I'm a huge fan, but go out and pick yourself up a copy of Tres Hombres it's a damn good album. Plus all you Phish fans out there let's not forgot that the boys used to cover not one, but two of their songs.

Here's a couple of downloads from Dimeadozen.org one from back in '94 and one off of this tour....

1994-05-24 Hartford, CT
2005-10-20 Ruth Eckerd Hall - Clearwater, Florida

1 comment:

freethoughtguy said...

Finally, in 2006, we have a proper remaster of Tres Hombres and Fandango!