Monday, March 13, 2006

No Respect

For those of you that read my blog on a semi-regular basis you how big a fan I am of my alma mater The George Washington University men's basketball team. Well it's been a frustrating 24 hours for me after watching the NCAA Selection Show last night - so I'm just going to rant a little. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the NCAA Selection Committee. What were they thinking when they decided they'd give GW a number 8 seed in the tournament? How is this possible? This is a team that lost only one game during the regular season. Went undefeated in conference play. And most importantly was in the Top 25 for the entire season. So explain please will someone explain the low seeding to me? Most people had us penciled in at a number five at worst. Seeding us number 8 means essentially is saying we're not even a Top 25 team.

That's not the worst of it. Ok sure if you want to give an 8 seed I guess I can live with it if I have to, but where to they get off having them play UNC Wilmington a nine seed in North Carolina? How does this reward a team that had their best season in over 50 years? A team that won the Atlantic 10 regular season title two years in a row and who is getting their best player back from injury this week? Just doesn't make sense to me. Why weren't we put in the DC region at least? Yes I know they had one of the worst S.O.S. in all of Division I basketball, but we're not talking about a team out of the America East or the Northeast Conference.

Anyway just had to vent. The news doesn't get any better for the Colonials if they win their first round match-up they'd be pitted against a little team of Durham, NC - seriously could we have been screwed anymore????

No comments: